Friday, October 1, 2010

Quilters Cottage

The other day while Mr. Cactus was golfing in 100+ degree weather, he asked a local if it rains in this area very often.
"Never" came the reply.
Yesterday we woke to a 30 degree drop in temperatures, pouring rain and streaks of lightning throughout the sky.
What to do, what to do?

I came up with a brilliant idea.
"We could drive over to Fallbrook and visit a quilt store" I casually suggested.


Quilters Cottage in Fallbrook is another one of my favorite quilt stores in Southern California.
Such a friendly staff.
They were quite thrilled with the lightning and the rain. One employee mentioned that she doesn't even own an umbrella because they see rain so seldom.

Quilters Cottage loves cats. You can find a great array of anything that includes quilts and cats.

Like these cute appliqued blocks by Garden Patch Cats.

Stalker

Pumpkat

and my favorite: Avocato
There were plenty of other fabrics and patterns to choose from.

Bali bags

A Halloween section

And more cats

One little girl was trying to decide on a fabric for her first quilt.
Guess what she chose?

One of the reasons Mr. Cactus was open to driving to a quilt store was because he had never been to Fallbrook, the Avocado Capitol of The World.
How could a man pass up such an opportunity?

For me, Fallbrook feels like a town that has been frozen in time.
Circa California 1960's.
Driving through the fields of agriculture and nurseries brought back so many childhood memories.

We saw as many nurseries as avocado orchards.

A very laid back town, with orange trees in most yards.
Of course we had to stop and buy a large bag of avocados (25 for $5) and freshly picked oranges that taste completely different than the grocery store variety.

6 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Wow, what fun. The cat quilts are great. I'm going to send another quilt blogger over here to see them. She, too, loves cats. l

The rest of the day looked like great fun, too. Your Mr. Cactus is very much like My Honey. He's quite patient about me looking for yarn, needles, hooks, etc., while we travel. We have a couple of pretty great guys, huh!

I'm enjoying your travels.

Hugs,
lois

Abby and Stephanie said...

I heart Fallbrook. I used to live there and Quilter's Cottage was originally in a darling little yellow house. The original owners eventually sold after I moved away so I've not been in the new version. We had avocado trees in our backyard so we'd trade our avocados for oranges with our neighbors. I have lots of friends still in Fallbrook.

Tanya said...

And I just came over because Lois sent me! What a fun store. I love that cat sitting on the pile of quilts!

em's scrapbag said...

That first quilt is amazing and the quilt shop looks like so much fun.
I bet the oranges are to die for and what a deal on avocados.

Sara said...

I just bought 2 of those cat applique patterns - and our taste must be similar. I bought the Stalker (celery)and Gourdo Gato (gourd). Can't wait to make them!

Thanks for showing us such a fun shop.

Janet said...

What a good way to spend a rainy day, the shop looks like it had a lot to look at. Are you going to make a giant bowl of guacamole??