Monday, October 13, 2008

My Latest Favorite

I've had this quilt top put together for a few months now. But I finally got it to the quilter, and just got it back. I'm so happy! Linda Brown, a local St. George long arm quilter did the work for me, and I think she did a terrific job.
I have never entered a quilt to be judged, but I'm going to venture out with this one. I've always felt my quilts were just for my own enjoyment and didn't want to go through the painful process of having them so closely scrutinized. But my friends have encouraged me to give it a try, so I will enter it in the Dixie Quilt Guild Show coming up in April 2009. I got the binding sewn on today, and will be finishing the tacking down in the next few days.
I like this quilt so much I even used it in my header when I started this blog.
To tell you a little bit about this pattern: It's called "4th of July" by Judy Niemeyer. The original pattern comes in bright blues, oranges, reds and greens. Because I live in Southern Utah I wanted to make it in Earth colors. I think I will change the name on mine, because it just doesn't look like the 4th of July does it? Any suggestions? I've never made a quilt out of batik's before, so I really was stretching myself when I picked out the fabric.
I had never paper pieced before either. Ricci was kind enough to teach me, and we made this quilt together. Hers is done in the traditional colors, and we plan on hanging our quilts next to each other at the Guild's show. Thank you again Ricci for all your help!

I wanted to show you some up close pictures so you could see the fabulous job Linda did on the custom quilting.


11 comments:

Browndirtcottage said...

oh WOW.....i believe all the air in my body just flew out....FABULOUS!

Aubrey said...

Mom! That quilt is beautiful. I think you are right, it looks like the 4th of July in St George. I love the colors and I think they match the desert motif perfectly! Don't take this the wrong way, but I can't wait till you die and I can inherit all your quilts! ;)

Abby and Stephanie said...

Just stunning!

Eileen said...

I was going to write "STUNNING".. but I see Stephanie already did. Well. There really isn't any other word that fits better.

Kim Walus said...

Nedra, what a beauty! I think it should win. I'm not very good at name quilts but as far as a name goes how about "The Light From Within" or "Rising Sun" okay that's enough from me.

Kim Walus said...

And thanks for your recent comments! I really appreciate them. . . Have a great day!

Nanette Merrill said...

Wow it is lovely Nedra, a perfect choice for a judged event. The quilting is very good. I recognized the pattern right away. So incredibly artistic and mood creating! Lovely.

Ulla said...

Your quilt looks very beautiful! It is in my favourite colours, so I may be a little biased. The sharp angles are so perfect, and the fabrics so lovely.

Carrie said...

I had wondered where you got the picture for your blog -- its nice to see the quilt. You did an amazing job!!

erica e said...

this is stunning. beautiful work. it looks very 'cactus needley' to me.

Material Mary said...

Wow-this quilt has WOW factor. I love the whole design of it and you did a most beautiful job. Way to go.
Mary