Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Arte Y Pico Award and Pincushions


I'm new to blogging, and was so honored to have Nanette from Freda's Hive send me this blog award! Wow! She has been such an inspiration and support to me in getting started. (Thank you a million times, again, Nanette!) I have been learning all kinds of new things the last month. Computers have never been my forte, and my family is still in shock that I'm doing this. I'm still in shock that I'm doing this!
Today I signed up for my first Flickr group with the Summer Stash Challenge. OK- I admit it. Up until a few weeks ago I had never heard the work "Flickr". One reason I wanted to learn how to blog is so I can become more familiar with my new digital camera and my computer. This site keeps me back at it every day so I can keep things fresh in my mind. And I'm having so much fun!


Tomorrow my 16 year old son leaves for our Church Youth Conference to hike Havasupai Trail down the Grand Canyon. Those who have been before say it is one of the most awsome hikes in the world. A life changing experience. Something he will never forget. Our son is dragging his feet about going. This comic in Sunday's paper helped me realize we're not alone as parents!
As quilters we seem to like to collect things. I love pincushions and thimbles. When ever I take a trip, I'm always looking to add to my collection. I have an antique Singer sewing machine that I use to display some of my pincushions.



My friends have added to my collection over the years. This one was made by my dear friend Beth and given to me as a gift when I moved from Northern Utah to Southern Utah. Every time I look at it I remember all the wonderful years and memories we have had together. Beth is the one who introduced me to quilting about 10 years ago, and my life has never been the same! Even though we now live 4 hours apart we still manage to get together quite often to work on projects and to have girl friend time.

I found this one at an antique store. The wood is hand carved and it smells musty and old.
Last April Ricci and I hosted a "St. George Retreat" for a few of our quilting friends up North. We made each one of them this pincushion to remember their Southern Utah experience. As a little tip- I googled to find out a good product to fill the inside of the pincushion. One site recommended natural cracked walnut shells purchased at Pet Smart for about $10 a bag. They worked great even though the product is usually intended to line bird cages. I had to tease Ricci by telling her to seal her bag up quick before the neighborhood birds knocked on her door looking for a potty stop.
I'm still plugging away, working on my Summer Stash Challenge. Listening to some good books on tape. Happy Happy.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love the pincushions. What a cute way to display them!

erica e said...

fun pincushions. i LOVE what you are doing with for the stash challenge! its really going to be stunning.

Browndirtcottage said...

Hey you.....I am really loving this quilt!!! The colors and pattern are great!!