Monday, June 11, 2012

Paper Pickin' Party

I've now completed sewing together all the rows on
Festive Cheer.
Lots and lots of red and green hexagons have merged together to make a vibrant Christmas quilt.

Festive Cheer
design by Victoria Findlay of Bumble Beans

I chose the alternative technique of using the Paper Piecing method to assemble the blocks.
Paper piecing helped keep all those bias edge sections together without stretching.

Now that the rows are together, I've started my own little Paper Pickin' Party.

Put in a good movie or two and start pulling away.
The family room floor looks like a nest for gerbils.
Tiny sections of shredded paper pile up around my chair.

Did you know that when you turn on the ceiling fan during a hot Arizona summer, paper flies everywhere?
I just pretended I am surrounded by snow.
(and am willing to try just about any other coping method)

Fortunately, quilting is very therapeutic.
I consider this a free quilt, because I've used scraps from my green basket and a red Kona solid from my stash.

Once all the quilt is free of all the backing paper, it will get a nice press.
The next step will be to applique circles to the center of each hexagon block.
I'll keep you posted.

13 comments:

dream quilt create said...

I have never done a paper pieced quilt on my own before, it looks really difficult! It is going to be so beautiful, what are your plans for it? Is your stash dwindling?

Anonymous said...

Nedra that quilt top is incredible!!! Wish you could come to my house to take out those papers, its down to a freezing 5 degrees at the moment, the fireplace is roaring! Does that help?
I love that you have made this from your scrap bucket, very impressive. xo

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Nedra that quilt top is incredible!!! Wish you could come to my house to take out those papers, its down to a freezing 5 degrees at the moment, the fireplace is roaring! Does that help?
I love that you have made this from your scrap bucket, very impressive. xo

Unknown said...

Love the quilt! I should have come by with all my Judy quilts that still have some paper attached. It would have really been "snowing" then!! Great job using your scraps!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Looks Fabulous Nedra! Well done!! Have fun with all the papers in the summer snow storm! hehe!

Can I just say to those who hear this paper piecing...This is a VERY easy paper piece block to make. you only have three sliced of fabric per triangle.

Nedra are you hand appliqueing the circles on? or machine?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks great! the circles will be done in no time at all. All that paper though :) it does take a little while doesn't it. It looks like it went together pretty quickly. I might have to get that pattern to use up some of my scraps with.
Karen

Me and My Stitches said...

This is a wonderful quilt! It will be worth all the time it takes to pick that paper!

Sara said...

It is just gorgeous! I'm always drawn to red, but this one is very special.

life in red shoes said...

So worth the time and effort!

Lois Evensen said...

Perhaps that paper can be recycled at the pet store. Just kidding. But, I did think of all the little pieces of yarn that I put into a box to be used as stuffing for the next project when I am pulling under ends on my patchwork sweaters. :)

•stephanie• said...

um . . . spectacular.
that's all i have to say!

Truffle queen said...

I love this quilt - and have a TON of greens that I could use! I use freezer paper and don't sew through the paper - I fold it back and sew next to it - so there's no paper to remove...

Material Mary said...

Oh boy Nedra...this quilt is amazing. What an accomplishment!!
Mary