Friday, June 20, 2008

Friday June 20th, 2008

For the last 11 years the small town of Panquitch Utah has held a "Quilt Walk" during the second week of June. The whole town shows their support by displaying quilts along the streets and in every store window. Events are held during a 4 day period. Quilt classes are taught at the local high school, and a free trunk show/ lecture is offered every day at noon.
I was able to go to Quilt Walk this last Saturday with some friends. Jeanna Kimball, national teacher, known as a true pioneer of hand applique was the guest lecturer. Jeanna shared with us her journey into quilting, giving us a history of her beginning projects. To view her quilts through a trunk show was amazing.
This is one of the first quilts Jeanna made. Doesn't look much like a first project for applique does it? Observing her skill level helps me understand why she moved so quickly into becoming a published author.


This another one of Jeanna's first quilts.

2 comments:

Nanette Merrill said...

I went to the quilt walk last year. It was really fun. My husband took me and it was a nice day and then we went to visit my sister in Toquerville. We had the best ice cream cone in Panguich. It was a fun little trip.

I love Jeana! I am such a fan of hers. I took a class from her maybe 2 years ago and I learned so so so much about applique. I'm ready to take another class. I just feel like she helped me step up my technique so much. She's a great person, too with a great story.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I have heard of the Quilt Walk, but never been. I'll have to go next year. Sounds great!

Elizabeth

http://silverscissorquilts.blogspot.com/