Monday, November 11, 2013

Something More Magical Than It Ever Was

 I've been home for a week now from
International Quilt Market and Festival
and I'm still enjoying moments
 of going back over pictures
I took from the
Quilt Show
I've always been drawn to the Traditional Log Cabin quilt.
Each block is so simple to construct
even a beginner could attempt.
And yet,
in all my years of quilting,
I've yet to make one.
With so many potential variations and designs,
it's been on my to-do list for some time. 
Something More Magical Than It Ever Was
Made by Judy Martin
Sheguiandah, Ontario, Canada
was a wonderful example of a 
scrappy Log Cabin
I liked her use of small thin strips
with pops of bright reds, orange, pinks and even greens 
to contrast with 
the darker purples and blues. 
 Technique: 
Machine pieced, photo transferred,
painted, hand quilted, embroidered.
 I also found Judy's insight equally intriguing:
"This is about a memory and how it is so personal
and fragile.
The same events are remembered differently by each of us,
and over time we eventually
create our own personal myths.
The time remembered in this quilt
is of my early days as wife and mother."
 Seeing these blocks 
makes me want to pull out 
my scraps and play :)

2 comments:

em's scrapbag said...

Log cabin quilts are fabulous! This one is no exception. Thanks for sharing it. I hope you make one. I'd love to see what you come up with.

Nat Palaskas said...

I love to make logcabin one day too. This one is beat all the ones I saw, thanks for sharing - Hugs Nat