Thursday, April 28, 2011

Chain Gang and The Rocks Speak

There were around 200 quilts hung at the Gems of The Desert Quilt Show.
It was tempting to take pictures of them all. I'll share with you some of my favorites.


Chain Gang pieced and quilted by Cathie Purdy
I always love every quilt that Cathie makes. The black background really sets off the bright fabrics.

Pattern design by Sue Garman, Chain Gang is offered as a Saturday Sampler Series with Quakertown Quilts.
If you are interested in the pattern, I've provided a link HERE.



Fun details in the quilting.




Another favorite that caught my eye was The Rock Speaks by Ruth McIntire.

This quilt brought to mind the amazing Santa Clara Petroglyphs close to our home in St. George.


Original design by Ruth McIntire.

Ruth went to the library and found examples of Indian Rock Art, enlarged the the pictures and created this quilt.



Hand appliqued and hand quilted.

I love the subtle back ground colors Ruth chose allowing the petroglyphs to stand out. And a lovely option to create Petroglyphs in blue, rather than the traditional Earth tones.

5 comments:

Janet said...

I love seeing quilts from shows, especially because we cant do it here. The rock quilt is amazing and very well done.

Nat Palaskas said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous quilts! The Rock Speaks is amazing - thanks for sharing with us - Hugs Nat

Laura said...

Thanks for sharing! I can't get to many quilt shows, and I appreciate all the pics.

Abby and Stephanie said...

I love quilt shows, in person or by blog. Always so much inspiration. I also think it's great to see "regional" quilts. These quilters really have highlight the beauty of the West.

Material Mary said...

lovely quilts...I love going to shows and seeing quilts and learning about their makers...
Mary