Friday, August 13, 2010

Ice Cream

It's August, and I'm dreaming of the days when the weather will start cooling down. Reports say we will reach 107 degrees here in St. George in the next few days.
Too hot for me.
Ice cream might help me cope.
Mr. Cactus is the ice cream lover in our house.
Many years ago when we purchased our first home, we saved our $$ to buy an upright freezer. We felt this was an important appliance for our growing family.
I remember when it was first delivered in our garage, I gazed at all that empty space and wondered how we would ever afford to fill it with food.
Mr. Cactus had his own dreams.
He ran to the store and purchased several cartons of ice cream. He lined the middle shelf with those colorful cartons, and stood back and smiled.
"Now I can have any kind of ice cream I want, anytime I want." he proudly announced.
You see, Mr. Cactus comes from a family of 9 children, 6 of them boys. Ice cream was a rare treat as he was growing up, and if it did appear, someone else usually got to it first.
Cook's Illustrated has a great idea for preventing ice crystals on ice cream.
As the ice cream is eaten, cut off the empty part of the container with scissors or a knife.
Replace the lid and return the container to the freezer.

And for all you knitters out there, i like lemons has provided a free tutorial for guilt free ice cream.

9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

LOL - I come from a family of 12 children - ice cream was a rare treat also and when we got it there was one scoop for each - now I have to have a large bowl all to myself and as often as I want!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Sherri said...

Just when it was starting to cool off..another heat wave...we're supposed to get to 115...usually we're 5 degrees warmer...yuck! I'm ready for fall!

em's scrapbag said...

I'm a BIG ice cream fan!!! My hubby thinks it's my favorite food. Love the knitted ice cream cones. Wish I knew how to knit. Try and stay cool.

Material Mary said...

Makes my mouth water for some of that wonderful goodness. I wonder if they have Farr Better ice cream.... Rocky Road to be precise...

Charleen said...

I love making (and eating) ice cream. One trick I've learned to prevent ice crystals is to press plastic wrap on the surface of the ice cream. You can reuse the wrap each time.

Bonniedoo said...

Finally calorie-free ice cream cones!!! I shall indulge as soon as I can and maybe even share a cone with my friends!!!

Nat Palaskas said...

I hope cool weather comes to you soon. Love the ice cream cones - Hugs Nat

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

mmm, I love gourmet icecream, but its a little cold over here to eat too much of that at the moment! so you will have to enjoy it for me. Love the idea of cutting the container down as it gets eaten, very clever! xo

Becky said...

I'm an ice cream lover, too :) Wish August would have cooler than normal temperatures. Take care!